Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sushi A Go-Go

Sushi is #42 on the list of 'Stuff White People Like.'

I must concur. While I certainly have not hit the highest level of sushi snobbery, I might plant myself somewhere between the lowest rung in the appreciation ladder -- California Roll eater -- and the middling level tuna and salmon nigiri dabbler. Admittedly, I love the various rolls with their tidy white rice wrapped in seaweed and filled with delicious concoctions ranging from avocado, cucumber, crab, shrimp tempura, etc. There is something really 'clean' about Japanese food. It's simple, pure and healthy. A great piece of sushi grade tuna should melt in your mouth . . . buttery rich and velvety smooth. Plus, it's fun to work the chopsticks. :)

Mr. Oz and I probably go out for sushi once every couple of months as a special treat. While Mr. Oz is very daring with his sushi choices, I am not. He will typically pick the 'chef's platter' and rolls the dice (get it? "rolls" the dice!! HA) with whatever happens to be in-stock and fresh that day. He'll chase it all down with some hot sake and smack his lips the whole time he's eating. Mr. Oz likes him some sushi. I'm not down with the random selection, let the chef pick my food, kinda deal. I guess I just have control issues and need to know EXACTLY what I'm getting. When it comes to raw seafood, I don't like any surprises.

Last weekend, right before the big cold and sinus debacle of 2009 hit me, we called up a dear pal, hit one of our old haunts and strapped on the sushi feedbag. A feast of edemame, mango martini, miso soup, spicy tuna maki were on the docket. Trying something a little different, I ordered up the special No. 9 roll. Oh my. This bad boy was tasty. If you are ever in the greater Twin Cities region, get thine self to Origami and try the #9. Ask for some extra spicy mayo on the side for dipping. You won't be disappointed. I also have to give a shout out to Yumi's in Excelsior. Just a hop, skip and a jump from the western shores of Lake Minnetonka, Yumi's is a tiny place that packs a powerfully delicious punch. They make a mean No. 9 roll as well.







And for those of you who either have not tried sushi OR did and had a bad experience, give it a try. Hey, call me and Mr. Oz. We'll join you. Start off slow and work your way up. It just might become one of your bests too. And, apparently if you are white, you have to like it. It is a prerequisite or something.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, me lika da pictures....mmmmmm, I wanna go when next we meet. When is that, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiiiiiiiiiiice.
    I love the pictures. Some of my favorite pictures posted on facebook are of what people are eating.

    I have only had sashimi once - was fairly daring, and enjoyed the experience. I imagine that the more I had the option, the more I (As a white person, especially) would like it. ;)

    Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy Wasabi and Zahtar in downtown Minny. Zahtar is my absolute favorite. If you are up for it, we are down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zahtar = I'm in. Name the date & time and the Oz's will be there. I hope they have a #9 roll :)

    ReplyDelete