Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Book Meme

I was taking a break from de-cluttering the townhouse and skipping my evening workout and hopped online to check out some of my fave-o-rite blogs. Over at Hollow Squirrel, I spotted a book meme. If you aren't quite sure what to make of this meme business. Here is a brief and simple definition as provided by good ole Wikipedia:

A meme (pronounced /miːm/)[1] consists of any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that gets transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, practices, habits, songs, dances and moods. Memes propagate themselves and can move through a "culture" in a manner similar to the behavior of a virus.

Now you get it right? A meme is like the flu bug. It flies around hopping from one person to the next igniting symptoms like cough, runny nose, stuffy head, etc. Sounds awesome no? Well, despite the surgeon general's warning to stay away from all things virus-like, I decided to hop on the bandwagon and participate in this meme. Why? Well, because it deals with books and I LOVES me some books. And, it was transmitted to me by Hollow Squirrel and she is one crazy, awesome chica. Fo schure. So, here's the meme. Ready, set go!

1. Pick up the nearest book
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the 5th sentence
4. Post the next three sentences
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you

The book closest to me is "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" by Michael Pollan which I have not yet started reading. Pg. 123 offers these fantastic sentence gems:

"Most of the missing micronutrients are supplied by fruits and vegetables, of which only 20 percent of American children and 32 percent of adults eat the recommended five daily servings. The cellular mechanisms Ames has identified could explain why diets rich in vegetables and fruits seem to offer some protection against certain cancers. Ames also believes, though he hasn't yet proven it, that micronutrient deficiences may contribute to obesity."

So, what are you meme-lovers out there supposed to take away from this? Hmmmm. I suppose the first thing is that peeps are not eating enough fruit and veg and that is BAD. Secondly, it seems that some person named Ames feels strongly about pointing this out and shaking his proverbial finger at all of us Americans who are nutrient failures. Third, not eating fruit and veg makes us fat. Finally, you now realize -- as if you hadn't already known it -- that I'm a nerd who reads nerdly books. Yep. Now there's some food for thought people.

Sadly, I don't think I have a total of five people who even read my blog on a regular basis so tagging five is not an option. Instead, I will just throw my virus meme out to Abysmal Scribble and Astitious. Oh heck, I'll even throw down the gauntlet to my buddy over at 155x5. I seriously doubt he'll see it, but who cares. Consider yourself memed! Hi-Yah (insert kick-ass karate chop motion and roundhouse kick).

3 comments: