Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Right Brain Ideas

A few months ago I picked up a book entitled "A Whole New Mind -- Why Right Brainers Will Rule The Future." In it, author Daniel Pink describes a historical imbalance between left-brain thinkers and workers (sequential, concrete, detailed, measurable, linear) and those dominant in right-brain thinking (abstract, contextual, simultaneous, empathetic, spatial). From his perspective, long gone are the days when the CPA's and engineers rule the professional landscape and reap all the glory. Rather, Pink sees the growing need for designers, inventors, teachers and storytellers.

I find the premise and content to be pretty compelling stuff and tend to agree with Pink most of the time. As is usually the case with prophetic & theoretical texts of this sort, I fear that when you push for a pendulum swing you run the risk of going too far. I like the idea of putting an imbalance back into balance. But, if we fully abandon the left brain and move to the extreme of a predominantly right-brain world, we might have pretty objects, creative stories and spiritual exploration, but will we still have running water, sturdy bridges and people who know how to fill out forms in triplicate? I'm just sayin . . . gotta value both.

One of the key chapters in the book focuses on the importance of design. Now I'm a sucker for design. I'll buy something that might not work or taste good, but if its wrapped in a cool package, I'm all for it. Pink included this list outlining how regular people, who aren't professional designers, can incorporate a design aesthetic into their everyday lives. The list comes from Karim Rashid and his "Karimanifesto" guide to life and design. I liked it so wanted to share with the three people who irregularly and infrequently link to my blog. You know who you are . . . . Enjoy!

1. Don't specialize
2. Before giving birth to anything physical, ask yourself if you have created an original idea, an original concept, if there is any real value in what you disseminate
3. Know everything about the history of your profession and then forget it all when you design something new.
4. Never say "I could have done that" because you didn't.
5. Consumer experiences, not things.
6. Normal is not good.
7. There are three types of beings -- those who create culture, those who buy culture, and those who don't give a shit about culture. Move between the first two.
8. Think extensively, not intensively.
9. Experience is the most important part of living, and the exchange of ideas and human contact is all life really is. Space and objects can encourage increased experiences or distract from our experiences.
10. Here and now is all we got.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I find this train of thought very interesting. I have considered, for some time now, that people need to focus less on material possessions and more on experiences in order to find happiness. But where is the fine line between the two? And how do you know when you have achieved the balance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the list...thank you! (even if I happen to not be one of the three).

    I especially relate to the "here and now" item in the list. So often we try to control our futures by focusing on the next step, then the next promotion, then the next success. If only I knew this 10 years ago when I had perfect skin--I would have enjoyed it more! :)

    ReplyDelete