Sunday, March 2, 2008

Very LATE Oscar's Commentary

I know I promised a post-Oscar wrap-up, but yeah, obviously that didn't happen. Now, a full week later, the whole event has dimmed somewhat in my memory. Here is what I can recall. You can blame my post-bachelorette party haze for the lack of details.

Overall, I don't think there were as many highs and, conversely, as many lows as past Academy Awards. Jon Stewart was his usual charming self. I was struck by the number of similarly designed dresses. Weren't there a lot of strapless, structured, mermaid-ish style looks? I guessed correctly on a lot of the categories -- Coen brothers for best director, No Country For Old Men as best picture, Javier Bardem as Best Supporting Actor (loved his speech!), Daniel Day-Lewis as Best Actor, Marion Cotillard as Best Actress (still need to see that movie) . . . What I didn't see coming was all those sound and sound effect awards bestowed upon the Bourne Ultimatum. Who knew those fight scenes and chase scenes were so Oscar worthy? The other surprise for me was Tilda Swinton's win for Best Supporting Actress. I really didn't get that one at all. I was hoping Amy Ryan would win for Gone Baby Gone.

OK, let's talk about Juno. Love Ellen Page. Love the movie. Love the writing. Diablo Cody's dialogue was brilliant. LOVE the fact that she won for best screenplay. HATED her dress! I'm not all that fond of animal print gowns to begin with, but I think it was the way it was split up the middle and bordered dangerously close to whipping open and exposing, what I can only imagine to be, her matching leopard g-string underneath. She was obviously trying to keep it closed as she walked up to receive her award. Not cool. I felt bad for her. My assumption is that, unlike almost all the other big stars of the night, Diablo doesn't have the luxury (yet) of having her own personal stylist. She should get one as soon as the big money starts rolling in. Really she should.

1 comment:

  1. Dangit, I missed so much by going to bed early and cleaning out the Tivo lineup prematurely. DUMB DUMB me. Now I have to google Diablo's dress.

    ReplyDelete