Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Academy Awards

Tonight is the night -- the glitz, the glamor, the red carpet extravaganza that is the Academy Awards. I'm a sucker for it all. I love the Oscar's. Truly I do. They are like my Super Bowl people. I love them so much that I have officially stopped going to any Oscar parties because there is far too much talking and carrying on. I like quiet when I'm watching the parade of Hollywood royalty hopping out of their limos, getting interviewed by the likes of Billy Bush and Ryan Seacrest. Obviously I'm falling into some serious caddy business because I'm also a huge fan of the fashion hits and misses that always follow the next day.

Here are a couple things I don't understand about the Oscar's. Maybe some of you out there can shed some light. Why do the reporters on the red carpet always act like complete idiots? They ask the most ridiculous lame questions like "so, who are you most excited to meet tonight?" OR, "did you wife help you get ready tonight?" These are stupid questions. Are they that star struck that they can't come up with anything better?

And, what is up with the music playing almost immediately after an Oscar winner comes up to claim their prize and wants to offer some thank-yous? I think they should institute a music policy that rank orders the most important people to the least important people. For the awards that few, if any, people care about (i.e. best 5 minute short film, best foreign film where the lead actor wears a fake beard, best clay-mation film, etc.) they should play the music and cut them off the second the Oscar statue hits their hands. This would allow more time for the people we care about like Best Actress and Best Actor types. O.k. so my idea may not be overwhelmingly popular, but I think the Academy should give it some serious thought.

Final question I have relates to the Price Waterhouse Coopers accountants that they drag out on the stage about mid-way through the night. I get that these number crunchers are extremely important. They tabulate the votes and guard the envelopes and what not. BUT, seriously do we need to parade them out to take a bow? Does anyone really care? In my opinion it just sucks up valuable time that could be better spent panning the audience for the glitterati or extending the time we get to see the montage of all the people who died this year. SAD.

Since I started my blog far too late to do an Oscar poll justice -- AND, since only a few people know this blog even exists -- I will have to forgo the predictions for tonight's show. Instead, I'll do a little post-Oscar wrap-up with MY BESTS and yes, WORSTS.

Viva la Oscar's!!

2 comments:

  1. Uh, also, Samantha Harris? That girl can't interview herself out of a paper sack. Bring back Kathy Griffin.

    Looking forward to your Oscar wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my thoughts:
    1) Keri Russell is STUNNING. She looked absolutely beautiful, as usual. She beat out all those red-dressed hags.
    2) Tilda - get some f'ing mascara. I can't stand to look at you like that! I might turn to stone.
    3) WTF Renee Zellweger? Does she have OCD with all that hair tossing and fluffing?
    4) Marion Cotillard was adorable and charming and refreshing when she won. Everybody needs to stop bitching about her fish dress.
    5) Diablo. SO very happy for her but I wanted her to have one of those big preppy safety pins magically appear to keep her cooter unexposed. She was self-conscious about it too. And I wanted to cry when she cried at the end. And then stomped off looking PO'ed. That was a little weird but hello - A BILLION PEOPLE ARE WATCHING. How many times did the E! people have to mention that?!

    ReplyDelete