Sunday, March 6, 2011

Washing Away Winter







Happiness photo experiment -- Day 11.

Today's images document my trip to the car wash. There is something oddly cathartic . . . well . . . I guess . . . sorta spiritually cleansing about getting a car washed. At just a basic level, it's fun to drive in and experience the cycles of rinse, soap, scrub, rinse and dry. You just relax, crank up the latest R&B dance track from Usher and let those machines do all the work. Removal of grime and those salt crusted dirt barnacles from my auto gives me an almost indescribable sense of accomplishment -- like I'm showing Mother Nature who's boss. Take that winter! Pow. You may have dumped 12 feet of snow and left sheets of ice in your wake. Your bitter cold winds may chill me to my core, but, for a few bucks and few short minutes, I can wash you away. Ha.

Participating in the transformation from dingy to shiny, from worn to fresh, is restorative. It's progress. It's the phoenix rising from the ashes to live anew. Good smells (personally, I love the fake 'new car' scent) and sparkling chrome are emblematic of renewal and hope. And, here in the upper Midwest, when you go to the car wash in March, it signals Spring is just around the corner so hang on for just a little while longer.


Happiness rating = 5

2 comments:

  1. Molly shares your love of the car wash....actually I think she may be addicted to this restorative experience. Maybe it's because you both have black vehicles...

    ReplyDelete