Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oh Baby

What could epitomize happy more than a cute little baby? I'm partial to this particular baby, my new nephew Elijah. He is almost 2 months old. I catch myself pulling out my phone and looking at these pictures at least once a day. Every time I do, it makes me smile. Happy rating = 8.


In the Psychology Today e-zine article "What Babies Can Teach You About Happiness," author Karen Salmansohn calls babies little "Zen Masters" who "have a greater expanded consciousness" than adults. Our significant lack of brain cells, as compared to babies, means grown-ups focus on the wrong things, are more inhibited and, thus, are less happy than babies.

Salmansohn goes on to claim that "A baby's brain is also better able to notice beauty and experience delight wherever it wanders-being fully appreciative of the new, and present in the now. You've heard of the Buddhist concept of "beginner's mind?" Well, a baby is blessed with the ultimate beginner's mind!" I can totally get behind this. Have you ever observed a baby while they are observing the world around them? They embody this awe and wonder. It's pretty amazing.

While I'm not sure about all of the science and talk of neurotransmitters, it makes sense that a baby would be happier than me. I mean, they don't have to go to jobs, pay bills, deal with standing in line at the DMV, wash dishes or clean toilets. Those babies leave all the unsavory tasks to their moms and dads, right? OF COURSE, babies are happy! Plus, they get to wear all of those awesome, fuzzy footy pajamas. And they can look forward to the day when they are grown up and able to fully enjoy the musical stylings of Justin Bieber and drive their parents crazy by coming home with faux hawks and ear piercings.

So, how do we tap into this state of happy baby Zen Master? Well, Salmansohn would urge us to meditate. To only see the world again with the delight of a child we just need to quiet our mind and be still and . . . there it is again . . . this topic of mindfulness. I may have to invest in a bouncy seat and hang a mobile above my bed.

4 comments:

  1. I like your wisdom. I think that Lisa is also a Zen Master! Reading Lisa's blog = lots o' happiness for Kaia. Thank you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone really "enjoy" the musical stylings of Bieber?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah.....so cute and sooooo true! babies ARE full of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you look at these pics everyday on your phone, adorable

    ReplyDelete