Monday, February 28, 2011

A Tiny Bit of Tolle

One of my favorite thinkers and authors is Eckhart Tolle. His books, "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth," are some of the best meditations on mindfulness and consciousness that I have read. A powerful aspect of Tolle's teachings is his understanding of how our ego often gets in the way of our true happiness. We get so caught up in what we have, who we are and how we define ourselves and, by doing this, we lose sight of just 'being' and living in the current moment. We fail to embrace the life we have and, instead, replace it with constant striving and seeking. I'm tired of the perpetual cycle so in honor of jumping off the hamster wheel, I say enough is enough. What's wrong with inner peace, quite confidence, celebrating mere existence? Why must there always be more to get and gather? We all could use a little more Eckhart.

"Don't Seek Happiness. If you seek it, you won't find it, because seeking is the antithesis of happiness."
Eckhart Tolle (A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose)

And, on that note, here is my happiness photo - Day 7. I was living in the moment while enjoying my martini at Chino Latino. :) Rating = 4.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm Chino Latinoooooo. I agree with this post. I recently purchased a hamster wheel and put it on the shelf in my cube as a reminder to not let the wheel rule me. Of course when my colleagues ask about the wheel I say it's in memory of my beloved hamster. This usually creates an awkward silence and ends the convo.

    ReplyDelete