Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bowling For Bismarck

Happy Post-Thanksgiving everybody! I hope your holiday was as festive and fun as mine. Mr. Oz and I traveled west to North Dakota to spend a few days with my mom, dad, sister and brother-in-law. Luckily, Mother Nature cooperated and our drive was smooth sailing all the way. We must have global warming to thank for the absence of snow and ice. Thanks high carbon emissions and diminishing ozone layer!!

After a mere seven hours in the car, we finally hit the big city of Bismarck and made our anticipated arrival. Due to circumstances to vast and complicated to get into, we did not partake of our traditional turkey meal on Thursday. No. Instead, we did what many only dream of on Thanksgiving -- we went bowling. Yep, that's right. Your time-honored ritual of Thanksgiving bowling was in full effect. Now, I think it's been oh, let's say, a solid 8 to 10 years since my feet last hit the lanes. The first game my performance was atrocious -- the worst I've ever bowled. We are talking like a 46 or something awful. I could only laugh at myself, shrug my shoulders and order up another pitcher of Bud Light for the thirsty relatives and myself. I'm not sure what happened after that, but I crept back up and with each game I got a little better. By the fourth game, I kicked everybody's butt and scored an all tight high of 164. Seriously. It was like a Thanksgiving Day miracle people. Of course, one could say that all I needed was a little practice, ya know, work the kinks out. It might have been the Bud Light. Either way, it was super AWESOME and I'm now considering leaving my job and hitting the pro bowling circuit. Why not, right?

We avoided Black Friday like the plague. Instead, the next day was spent recovering from my bowling adventures -- my right shoulder, arm, wrist and hand hurt like crazy. Then it was time to hit the kitchen and cook up some tasty vittles. Yee Haw. Abysmal Scribble made her delicious wild rice stuffing (sshhh, the secret is rosemary and dried apricots) and the ever beloved green bean casserole. I whipped up the spicy cranberry sauce and a nice little brussel sprout dish. Mom did the rest and voila, we had ourselves a feast! Grandma and my uncle Richard and aunt Brenda joined us for dinner, drinks, card playing and general merriment. We missed the rest of the family who couldn't be here this year -- including cousin Valerie who lives in Austin, TX and my baby brother Justin who resides in Washington DC.

Mr. Oz gave me my Christmas present early -- a new Canon Rebel XSI -- so I could document the whole holiday extravagenza in style. I love it!! This camera is amazing and if the whole bowling circuit thing doesn't work out for me, I think I may try my hand at professional photographer. Or, maybe I'll just stick to my day job for now.

The whole clan in attendance:


Not sure what you and your family enjoy as an appertif, but for us its a shot of Apple Pie whiskey, another holiday favorite:


What a fine looking table. Check out those cranberries:


Me and Abysmal:


Mr. Oz eagerly awaiting the arrival of the bird:

1 comment:

  1. If you decide to do the whole bowling circuit thingy, can I be your manager? Puh-lease! I need a new gig.

    ReplyDelete