Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Why Do We Climb?

I have a question and I need some answers. What compels people to climb mountains? I'm not talking about little treks up a nearby hillside. I'm referring to those who seek the thrill that only a summit to Mt. Everest or K-2 can fulfill? I simply don't get it. Why would one have this need to climb 28,000 feet above sea level, risking their life in bitter cold, treacherous conditions without oxygen? Hypothermia, frozen fingers and toes, getting lost, falling off and crashing on jagged rocks below. . . do these sound like fun activities to you? Nope.

My TIVO is recording a show right now documenting the experience of a group of Mt. Everest climbers who had a tough journey. The show is fascinating. The sheer folly (at least in my feeble mind) it must take to say to yourself "hell yes. I'm going to climb to the top." Then, the sheer determination to survive when brutal storms arise and there is nothing to do but gut it out and pray to god you find base camp. While I am thoroughly engaged in the real life story, watching it does not make me feel any closer to understanding what urges people to undertake such a feat. At first I chalk it up to mental ailment. After all, you have to be crazy to do what these people do, right? Thinking about it further, I guess there has to be something more at work. Is it the desire to go above and beyond what is considered humanly possible? Is it the need to conquer fears? To stretch the limits and dominate Mother Earth? To prove yourself worthy? To show up your friends and neighbors? To have something to talk about when looking for a conversation starter at the inevitable cocktail party? What is it?

There is something about the highest peaks that, for time eternal, has called to mankind. Maybe we are just trying to get closer to God. Looking to elevate ourselves to the top of the world in order to touch the heavens, stretch to the angels and, in that act, grab a small piece of the immortal and the divine. A part of me wants to believe that is possible. But, another part of me knows that you don't have to climb 28,000 feet to get there.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent metaphor for life. I'm pretty certain that I try to climb high (not physically, of course) so that when I inevitably tip over, the fall will kill me. Of course, that could me my outlook just this week.

    I'm certain you are climbing from the gust newlywedded bliss and up and coming honeymoon wind!

    ReplyDelete