Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pizza Farm

A couple of years ago, my friend Jess told me about the Pizza Farm. At first, I was not sure what to think of such a place. Was it a farm house made entirely of pizza boxes? Could farmers actually grow pizzas from the soil? Despite growing up in a tiny farming community in the middle of North Dakota, even this was something I had never heard of. What, pray tell, was a Pizza Farm? Jess explained. The Pizza Farm is a real farm tucked back in the fields of Wisconsin where, every Tuesday night in the summer months, they bake lovely pizzas made fresh from ingredients they produce themselves. It was local food done with great care and attention. Once I understood what this mythical place really was, I knew I had to check it out. Unfortunately, on most Tuesdays I am at work. This makes a mid-day trek to rural Wisconsin somewhat challenging. Enter, my summer Stay-cation and a whole week of leisurely time just perfect for a pizza adventure.

Jess and I made our plans and hopped in the car on a tragically hot and steamy August day. We set out to find this gem of pizza nirvana. A couple hours later, a few pit stops to take in the local scenery and we were there. Eureka! We found it.








The farm is just a few miles outside of Stockholm, WI. You will find no signs directing you to the location. They don't advertise. They don't have to. Our arrival at 5pm was fortuitous as several hungry visitors preceded us and had descended like a swarm of locusts. As we got in line to order, several more ravenous guests were flanking us to the right and left. This place was certainly popular. Jess and I arrived just in time and were able to place our order quickly after spending a few minutes studying the chalkboard menu. The pizza options reflect the bounty of the land -- onion, herbs, eggplant, beets, fresh tomato. They have sausage made from "happy pigs" and cheese made the milk of cows and sheep residing in the pasture just a few clicks away. Add in a few delights like kalamata olives and you have yourself one delicious pizza.






It only took about 10 minutes for us to get our pie. They have 2 big wood burning ovens going and, apparently, dish out about one pizza each minute. Don't expect any fancy sides or accompaniments. It's just pizza. They don't even sell beverages and they don't have plates or napkins. Everything is bring your own and you take your trash with you when you leave. There are some nice open spots of grass where you can throw down a blanket, catch some shade and enjoy your food.

I would highly recommend making a Tuesday trip to the Pizza Farm. Bring a little salt and pepper with you (pizzas could have used a little seasoning), grab a 6 pack of beer or a bottle of wine and take in this sustainable and satisfying culinary find. Oh, and if the pizza alone doesn't hit the spot, there is a great little pie shop in Stockholm where you can pick up some yummy baked goodness.

In my next life, I want to live on a Pizza Farm and grow a Pizza Garden and maybe, just maybe, I'll have a Calzone Community of my very own.

3 comments:

  1. How gloriously rustic! Now I have to construct a wood burning pizza oven in my backyard. Add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete