Sunday, June 13, 2010

Goats And Friendship

Spent some time visiting with an old friend this weekend. She and I went to high school together and, over the years, had been in contact intermittently. Back in the day, we were the best of pals and spent many a summer's day riding our bikes with banana seats around the quiet streets of our small North Dakota home town (*population 955 counting cats and dogs), swimming in the local pool and just being kids. I would venture to say, she ranks as the friend I've known the longest. Funny, how that goes. You share your childhood memories and adolescent dreams with someone; they know your secrets and you know theirs. They've got the dirt on you. You remember them when . . . the antics and tribulations of misguided youth. Ahhhh. Then, you grow up. You go to college, get jobs, lose touch. Life goes on, I suppose. But, sometimes you get second chances to see your childhood friend and recall fondly how it once was. You laugh. Hopefully, neither one of you has changed so much that you've forgotten who you were as friends together. It's a wonderful thing to pick up that kind of friendship. It might never be the same relationship, but it still feels nice to appreciate the people you have become.

I experienced this. My friend, let's call her Jane**, is a mom to three adorable kids. She is married and lives about 40 miles from me on her very own hobby farm. She's into antiques and growing her own vegetables. Jane is pretty darn cool. She has goats and chickens, apple trees and makes a killer pasta salad.

**name changed to protect the innocent goats.

See Jane's goats:



See Jane's chickens:



Man, it was good to see Jane. Period.

Friendship comes to us and we choose what to do with it. Do we forget it? Do we nurture it? Do we take it for granted? Do we embrace it? I'd like to be the type of person who cherishes it and relishes the amazingly, unique qualities that make my friends special.

Hey, if you are reading this right now, you are probably my friend. Thanks. You may not have goats, but you are still pretty great. :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the new pic of Oz! Great post. I really need to meet your friends. They sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, I remember Jane. How jealous am I that she has her own farm and has goats! JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are the adult analogs to banana seats? Get your banana seat to Chi-town!

    ReplyDelete