Saturday, February 27, 2010

North Loop Restaurants

Despite my gimp leg, I have been able to get out and about. This week found me in the North Loop area of Minneapolis, otherwise known as the Warehouse District. For Twin Cities foodies, this is where it's at these days. Yummy-ness abounds.

First stop was Bar La Grassa for some birthday celebrating with the lovely Alison and Anne. Opening up in the Fall of 2009, I've heard nothing but good things about the Isaac Becker and Josh Thoma restaurant. The fare is sophisticated Italian with a unique flair. Delicious bruschetta and fresh pastas highlight the menu.

The space is dark wood, low lights with high, open ceilings. Elegant yet incredibly comfortable, La Grassa boasts an interesting scene of urban after work happy hour goers and the older suburban set. At one point, we swore we saw David Hasselhoff lingering by the hostess stand. Later, it seemed Father Time was hanging at the bar drinking a gin martini. John Forsythe anyone? Yep, he was there too. Ok, not really.


Come hungry and, better yet, come early. If you don't have reservations, you will definitely be hard pressed to nab a table after 6pm. My friends and I enjoyed a number of taste treats. The seared sea scallops were a great way to start our meal, but my favorite thing, by far, was the soft egg and lobster bruschetta. Oh my. This would make a killer breakfast. La Grassa, you had me at goat cheese and white truffle oil.



Today, Mr. Oz and I returned to the area and had lunch at another North Loop spot just a door down from La Grassa -- Be'wiched Deli. I would recommend.


The Be'wiched folks give the same attention to the choice of ingredients and flavor compliments as you would find in any high end, gourmet restaurant. They take the sandwich to a whole new level. Fresh. Spicy. Chewy. Move over Tom Colichio, Witchcraft has some competition.

For Mr. Oz it was all about the pastrami. I tried the roast beef, havarti, onion jam and creamy horseradish on a ciabatta. Next time I'm going to have to try the egg salad which, apparently, is to die for.



So, that's my restaurant 411 y'all. Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment