Sunday, April 19, 2009

Saying No Is Like Butter Fat

Gearing up for our 1 year anniversary trip to southern California. I could not be more ready to get away and enjoy some time relaxing. It has been a hectic couple of months and, as it usually goes in times like these, balance desperately needs to be restored. Nothing quite like a get-away to kick start the restoration.

In the past I've used this forum to declare my renewed dedication to health & wellness. Have to admit both the health and the wellness have recently taken a backseat to stress. Working long hours, poor food choices, restless sleep and sporadic exercise has taken its toll. It's just not worth it. Sometimes I wonder what drives me to get into these situations, but a need to please and take on too much is definitely at the top of the list. Learning to say no can be a challenge but one that has many rewards. By placing self-imposed limitations, things become pretty darn clear and priorities tend to rise to the top like butter fat separating from milk. Mmmmmmm ... butter fat. You know what they do with butter fat, don't you? They put it in ice cream. Yep. Deliciously tempting, decadently rich and sweet, ice cream. I'm not talking about the cheap, imitation stuff either. This would be the good stuff. The ice cream that coats the inside of your mouth and tongue with a uniquely satisfying velvety feel of buttery goodness. Ice cream. Another thing I need to say NO to. No. No. No.


So, every time you get a request to take on another project, volunteer for yet ANOTHER fund raising event at your kids' school, work on the weekend, take a trip with your third cousin (twice removed), sign up for that store credit card so you can get the 15% off your purchase THAT DAY, help your neighbor overhaul his transmission . . . just ask yourself two questions 1) What is your intention in taking on this activity/task/request? In other words, why are you saying "yes"? 2) Assuming your motives are positive and not stemming from a sense of guilt or burden, ask yourself what you, personally, will get out of the experience? Will it help you grow? Develop yourself in someway? Enrich your spirit? Bring joy to your life? If the answer is no, then I think you should say NO. Is this selfish? Is it wrong? Maybe. I think saying "no" more often, might just be the most unselfish thing you can do. Imagine the time you would have left over to give your loved ones? Your kids? Your spouse? Time for yourself to renew and recharge?

Saying no doesn't mean you don't care about people and their needs. It doesn't mean you are a lazy slacker. Quite often, it can simply mean, you are putting yourself, or the needs of those closest to you, first.

What do you think? Is saying "No" more often a good thing or no?

Now, I will leave you with these questions and this . . .

Updated picture of little Ozy. His eyes are open but look a little glazed and hazy. I'm sure the world is one big blur to him. As each day passes, we are even more excited to get him home!



Could you say 'no' to a face like this? I don't think so.

2 comments:

  1. Saying no is tough. I find that the task becomes somewhat impossible the older I get. Why is that? And no (wait a minute, I just said it) I could not say no (which means I am saying yes) to Ozzy-bear's face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the saying "no" because if you aren't saying no to something you ARE SAYING NO to something up...whether you consciously know it at that moment or not. For example, if I don't say no to a project that puts me over the limit I am saying no to Nicole and any sense of life in the evenings. See, you say no either way. What do you want to say no to?

    ReplyDelete